MMC Benefits Handbook
Services Not Covered
What legal services are excluded under the Plan?
The Plan excludes coverage for:
- Matters involving the Company including its plans and policies and your employment with the Company; or matters involving your family members' employer
- Matters involving MetLife legal plans, MetLife or network attorneys
- Business or commercial matters (and any issue arising out of a business-related matter. For example, if you or a covered family member has a business, no services related to that business will be covered.)
- Appeals and class-action suits
- Any matter for which an attorney-client relationship exists prior to becoming eligible for the Plan
- Third-party costs, such as filing fees, court fees, witness fees, etc.
- Matters in which there is a conflict of interest between the employee and spouse or dependents in which case services are excluded for the spouse and dependents.
Can I get advice even if the service isn't covered under the Plan?
Yes. The Legal Assistance Plan provides telephone and/or office advice on personal legal matters. However, the Legal Assistance Plan is not intended to provide you with continuing access to a plan attorney for non-covered services in order to seek advice that would allow you to undertake your own representation.