MMC Benefits Handbook
UnitedHealthcare Medical Plan Options
This section provides a summary of the Medical Plan (the "Plan") options available through UnitedHealthcare (UHC) as of January 1, 2022.
This section, together with the Administrative Information section and the applicable section about participation, forms the Summary Plan Description and plan document of the Plan.
Selecting a medical plan option for 2022 involves three key choices for eligible individuals.
- Select one of three medical plan design options. A range of coverage levels and costs are offered.
- Select coverage for:
- yourself only — Employee
- yourself and your spouse or domestic partner — Employee + Spouse
- yourself and your child or children — Employee + Child(ren)
- yourself, your spouse or domestic partner, and children — Family
- Select your medical plan carrier:
Note: This section of the Benefits Handbook provides information about the UnitedHealthcare administered medical plan options only.
Information about the Aetna and Anthem BlueCross BlueShield administered medical plan options is covered in a separate section of the Benefits Handbook.
Information about the Kaiser administered medical plan options is covered in a separate section of the Benefits Handbook.
Information about the Hawaii medical plan options is covered in a separate section of the Benefits Handbook.
All medical plan options described in this section of the Benefits Handbook offer:
- comprehensive health services
- the freedom to select between a health care provider that participates in your chosen medical plan carrier's network, generally at a lower cost to you, or a provider that does not participate in your chosen medical plan carrier's network, generally at a higher cost to you.
Note: Be sure to read about Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts (HCFSAs), Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and Limited Purpose Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts (LPHCFSAs). Understanding these tax-advantaged arrangements may be important to your selection of a medical plan.
The Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) is a federal law that governs many employer-sponsored plans including this medical plan. Your ERISA rights in connection with this Plan are detailed in the Administrative Information section.