MMC Benefits Handbook
Leaving Your Money in the Plan
If you leave the Company and all affiliated employers and your Vested account balance is greater than $1,000, you may leave your money in the Plan until April 1st of the year following the calendar year in which you attain age 73 (if you were born after December 31, 1950) or age 72 (if you were born after June 30, 1949 but before January 1, 1951) or age 70-1/2 (if you were born before July 1, 1949) or, if later, the April 1st of the calendar year following the calendar year in which you terminated employment at which time distributions must begin.
As a terminated employee, go to and select Transamerica to complete Plan transactions and obtain forms.
While your money remains in the Plan, you can:
  • reallocate the balance of your account among different investment options.
  • substitute one investment option for another (a "fund-to-fund" transfer).
  • request a partial distribution.
While your money remains in your account, your account balance will continue to be affected by the investment performance of the investment options you elected for your account.
If your money remains in the Plan, you cannot take a new loan from your account. If you have a loan outstanding when you leave the Company or Marsh McLennan and you choose to leave your money in the Plan, your loan will be considered payable in full and taxable unless you repay it. If your loan goes into default, then the Internal Revenue Service requires that a default be declared no later than the last business day of the calendar quarter following the calendar quarter in which your first missed payment was due. If you do not repay your loan(s), the outstanding loan balance, plus accrued interest, may be treated as a taxable distribution from your account reducing your vested account balance by the outstanding loan amount with the outstanding loan amount (plus accrued interest) being subject to income tax including an additional 10% Federal early withdrawal tax if you are under age 59-1/2 unless an Internal Revenue Service exception applies to you.