MMC Benefits Handbook
Gender Affirming Surgery
Does the Plan cover gender affirming surgery?
Gender affirming surgery is covered for persons that meet all of the following conditions:
- You are at least 18 years old
- You have been diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria.
- Preauthorization is required. Contact the Claims Administrator for specific details.
What gender affirming surgery benefits will the Plan pay?
Eligible health services include:
- The surgical procedure
- Physician pre-operative and post-operative hospital and office visits
- Gender reassignment counseling by a behavioral health provider
- Hormone therapy
The Plan will provide medically necessary benefits in connection with gender affirming surgery, including:
- Hair removal, such as electrolysis, laser treatment, etc.
- Tracheal shave/reduction
- Facial feminization surgeries
- Voice modification surgeries
- Voice modification therapy
- Lipoplasty/filling for body masculinization or feminization
Important Note: Log into your secure member website at www.aetna.com for detailed information about this covered benefit, including eligibility requirements. You can also call Member Services at the telephone number on your I.D. card.