MMC Benefits Handbook
Sword Health Virtual Physical Therapy
The plan covers the virtual treatment of acute, chronic, pre-surgical and post-surgical pain at home combining an exercise program prescribed by licensed physical therapists, utilizing either computer vision technology or motion tracking sensors.
- Areas of focus include back, shoulder, neck, knee, elbow, hip, ankle, wrist and pelvic area.
- A physical therapist designs an exercise program based on the specific treatment prescribed by a physician. Sword Health will ship you a tablet equipped with wearable motion sensors or computer vision technology. These tools provide you with real-time feedback as you perform your exercises. You then complete your exercise sessions at home when it is convenient for you. Your physical therapist is there to support you virtually and is available for chat via the Sword Health mobile app.
- Physical therapy sessions are unlimited per month.
- Virtual physical therapy typically consists of an initial period of 8-12 weeks. Sessions are usually 20-30 minutes and it is recommended that you complete sessions three to five days per week.
- A check-in between a member and a physical therapist is typically twice a week via chat or email. Video calls take place every four weeks. Members can also speak to their physical therapist via phone calls if they choose to exchange personal phone numbers.
Ongoing therapy is subject to periodic clinical review to determine medical necessity for continued therapy.
Sword Health Virtual Physical Therapy incorporates Sword's computer vision technology or motion sensors with straps, in addition to a Digital Therapist© tablet and personalized assistance from a licensed physical therapist. Access the Sword Health mobile app is also included which provides for direct chat with the dedicated physical therapist and access to educational articles. The Sword Health mobile app is available in the App Store for iOS devices and on Google Play for Android devices.
You must be 18 years of age or older and enrolled in the $1,500 or $3,000 Deductible Plans administered by Aetna to use Sword Health Virtual Physical Therapy.
The cost to utilize Sword Health Virtual Physical Therapy is subject to the medical plan (plan deductible and coinsurance for the $1,500 or $3,000 Deductible Plans) you are enrolled in. The cost structure for Sword Health Virtual Physical Therapy works differently from the other physical therapy services covered under the plan - services are subject to a monthly cost share. For information on the actual cost for these services, refer to the "Detailed List of Covered Services."
For more information and to start virtual physical therapy, go to join.swordhealth.com/mm/.
Note: Sword Health is an available option for physical therapy under the plan. It is not the only option. For an alternative option, see the Physical Therapy section above.