MMC Benefits Handbook
Eligible employees must be Actively-At-Work to apply for coverage. Being "Actively-At-Work" means that on the day you apply for coverage, you are working at one of your Company's business locations, or you are working at a location where you are required to represent your Company. If you are applying for coverage on a day that is not one of your scheduled workdays, then you will be considered Actively-At-Work if you meet this definition as of your last scheduled workday. You are not considered Actively-At-Work if your normal duties are limited or altered due to your health, or if you are on a leave of absence.
After-tax paycheck deductions
Deductions taken from your pay after Social Security (FICA and Medicare) and federal unemployment insurance (FUTA) taxes and other applicable federal, state and local taxes are withheld.
Approved Spouse and Domestic Partner
Adding a spouse or same gender or opposite gender domestic partner to certain benefits coverage is permitted upon employment or during the Annual Enrollment period for coverage effective the following January 1st if you satisfy the plans' criteria, or immediately upon satisfying the plans' criteria if you previously did not qualify. To obtain spousal or domestic partner coverage, you will need to agree to the Affidavit of Eligible Family Membership declaring that:
Spouse / Domestic Partner
- You have already received a marriage license from a US state or local authority, or registered your domestic partnership with a US state or local authority, or
- Although not registered with a US state or local authority, your relationship constitutes a marriage under US state or local law (e.g. common law marriage or a marriage outside the US that is honored under US state or local law).
Domestic Partner Only
- Although not registered with a US state or local authority, your relationship constitutes an eligible domestic partnership. To establish that your relationship constitutes an eligible domestic partnership you and your domestic partner must:
- be at least 18 years old
- not be legally married, under federal law, to each other or anyone else or part of another domestic partnership during the previous 12 months
- currently be in an exclusive, committed relationship with each other that has existed for at least 12 months and is intended to be permanent
- currently reside together, and have resided together for at least the previous 12 months, and intend to do so permanently, and
- have agreed to share responsibility for each other's common welfare and basic financial obligations
- not related by blood to a degree of closeness that would prohibit marriage under applicable state law.
Marsh & McLennan Companies reserves the right to require documentary proof of your domestic partnership or marriage at any time, for the purpose of determining benefits eligibility. If requested, you must provide documents verifying the registration of your domestic partnership with a state or local authority, your cohabitation and/or mutual commitment, or a marriage license that has been approved by a state or local government authority.
In order to cover the child(ren) of a spouse or domestic partner, you will be required to agree to the Affidavit of Eligible Family Membership. Go to Colleague Connect (https://colleagueconnect.mmc.com), click Career & Rewards and select Mercer Marketplace Benefits Enrollment Website under Tools.
The person(s) or entity you designate to be entitled to benefits when you die. For Personal Life Insurance and Voluntary AD&D you are automatically the beneficiary if a covered family member dies.
A physical impairment that limits one to be permanently unable to perform the material and substantial duties of any occupation for which on is qualified by reason of education, experience or training.
Earned commissions means commissions that have been paid and are not subject to retroactive reduction.
Regular draw means a draw against commissions not subject to retroactive deduction.
For Marsh & McLennan Companies employees (other than MMA):
Salary for the purpose of the Plan is your annual base salary (excluding overtime, bonuses, commissions, and other extra compensation).
For MMA employees:
Salary for the purpose of the Plan is your annual base salary, regular draw and earned commissions.
This information is not intended to be a complete description of the insurance coverage available. The policy or its provisions may vary or be unavailable in some states. The policy has exclusions and limitations which may affect any benefits payable. For complete details of coverage and availability, please refer to Policy Form(s) L-21794 or contact your Unum representative.