MMC Benefits Handbook
If you elect this coverage and qualify for long term disability benefits, your payments will begin under the Individual Disability Insurance Plan 180 days after the date you were disabled provided you meet all other plan requirements.
Benefits Payment Method
Monthly benefits are paid by the Claims Administrator by either check or direct deposit to a bank account you designate.
Your payments will end on the earliest of the following:
- you cease to be disabled (as determined by the Claims Administrator)
- you die
- you reach age 65 (if your birthday is on the first of the month. Otherwise, payments continue until the end of the month in which you reach age 65.), unless you become disabled on or after age 61 (see the "Benefit Schedule Based on Age" for details)
- you reach the disability benefit limit for mental health and/or substance abuse.
Payment Period Exceptions
There are exceptions to the normal payment period if:
Benefit Schedule Based on Age
How long are benefits paid if I become disabled on or after age 61?
Provided you meet the Individual Disability Insurance eligibility requirements, if you become disabled on or after age 61, benefits will be paid according to the schedule below (based on your age at the time you became disabled):
- age 61 but before age 62, benefits will be paid up to a maximum of 4 years
- age 62 but before age 63, benefits will be paid up to a maximum of 3-1/2 years
- age 63 but before age 64, benefits will be paid up to a maximum of 3 years
- age 64 but before age 65, benefits will be paid up to a maximum of 2-1/2 years
- at or after age 65, but before age 75, benefits will be paid up to a maximum of 2 years
- at or after age 75, benefits will be paid up to a maximum of 1 year.