MMC Benefits Handbook
What kind of support and services can I expect under the MetLife Estate Resolution ServicesSM1?
The MetLife Estate Resolution ServicesSM1 feature provides assistance to your executor or administrator in probating your estate. The Executor or Administrator of the estate of the employee, or the employee's Spouse/Domestic Partner can receive assistance from a participating plan attorney, at no cost, for matters related to probating the deceased's estate and distributing the assets to the heirs. This assistance includes:
- Preparation of documents and representation at court proceedings needed to transfer the probate assets from the insured's estate to heirs
- Telephone and office consultations to discuss matters related to probating the insured's estate (also available to beneficiaries who are not executors or administrators)
- The completion of correspondence necessary to transfer non-probate assets such as proceeds from insurance policies, joint bank accounts, stock accounts or a house
- Associated tax filings
- Limited reimbursement if you choose to retain your own attorney.
This service is provided by MetLife Legal Plans, a MetLife company. The service is included in the insured employee's coverage, and the Spouse/Domestic Partner does not have to be insured under the plan. Estate Resolution Services also provides consultations for beneficiaries to discuss general questions regarding the probate process.
Are there any Estate Resolution services that are excluded from coverage?
Yes. The following services are not covered:
- Matters in which there is a conflict of interest between executor, administrator, any beneficiary or heir and the estate
- Any disputes with the policyholder, employer, plan attorneys, MetLife and/or any of its affiliates
- Any disputes involving statutory benefits
- Will contests or litigation outside of probate court
- Court costs
- Filing fees, recording fees, transcripts, witness fees, expenses to a third party, judgments or fines and frivolous or unethical matters.
What does the Estate Resolution service cost?
This plan feature is automatically available at no cost to plan participants or spouses.
What if I have additional questions?
Contact Mercer Voluntary Benefits (provided by Mercer Health & Benefits Administration) at +1 800 225 2265, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Eastern time and Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Eastern time and you will be transferred to a MetLife GVUL Customer Service Representative for assistance.