MMC Benefits Handbook
Actively at Work
You are "Actively-At-Work" if you are fulfilling your job responsibilities at a Company-approved location on the day coverage is supposed to begin (e.g., you are not out ill or on a leave of absence).
After Tax Paycheck Deductions
Deductions taken from your pay after Social Security (FICA and Medicare) and federal unemployment insurance (FUTA) taxes and other applicable federal, state and local taxes are withheld.
The person or entity you designate to be entitled to benefits when you die. For GVUL Spouse and Dependent Children coverage, Personal Life Insurance, and Voluntary AD&D Insurance, you are automatically the beneficiary if a covered family member dies.
Earned commissions means commissions that have been paid and are not subject to retroactive reduction.
Eligible Marsh & McLennan Companies Employees (other than MMA)
As used throughout this document, "Marsh & McLennan Companies Employees (other than MMA)" are defined as employees classified on payroll as US regular employees of Marsh & McLennan Companies or any subsidiary or affiliate of Marsh & McLennan Companies (other than MMA and any of its subsidiaries).
Eligible MMA Employees
As used throughout this document, "MMA Employees" are defined as employees classified on payroll as a US regular employee of Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC – Corporate (MMA-Corporate), Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC – Alaska (MMA-Alaska), Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC – Southwest (excluding MHBT Inc., IA Consulting, Insurance Partners of Texas, Hendrick & Hendrick, Inc. and Eustis Insurance) (MMA-Southwest), Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC – Northeast (MMA-Northeast), or Security Insurance Services.
Evidence of Insurability
Proof of good health and is generally required if you do not enroll for coverage when you first become eligible, if the coverage level you are requesting requires such evidence, or if you are increasing coverage. Establishing Evidence of Insurability may require a physical examination at the employee's expense. The Evidence of Insurability must be provided to and approved by the insurer before coverage can go into effect.
Qualified Family Status Change
An event that changes your benefit eligibility, for example getting married and having a child or your spouse or dependent lose other coverage. You can make certain changes to your before-tax benefit elections that are due to and consistent with the change in family status.
Regular draw means a draw against commissions not subject to retroactive deduction.
For Marsh & McLennan Companies employees (other than MMA):
Salary for the purpose of the Plan is your annual base salary (excluding overtime, bonuses, commissions, and other extra compensation).
For MMA employees:
Salary for the purpose of the Plan is your annual base salary, regular draw and earned commissions.
Spouse and Domestic Partner
Adding a spouse or same gender or opposite gender domestic partner to certain benefits coverage is permitted upon employment or during the Annual Enrollment period for coverage effective the following January 1st if you satisfy the plans' criteria, or immediately upon satisfying the plans' criteria if you previously did not qualify. To obtain domestic partner coverage, you will need to agree to the Affidavit of Eligible Family Membership declaring that:
Spouse / Domestic Partner
- You have already received a marriage license from a US state or local authority, or registered your domestic partnership with a US state or local authority.
- Although not registered with a US state or local authority, your relationship constitutes a marriage under US state or local law (e.g. common law marriage or a marriage outside the US that is honored under US state or local law).
Domestic Partner Only
- Although not registered with a US state or local authority, your relationship constitutes an eligible domestic partnership. To establish that your relationship constitutes an eligible domestic partnership you and your domestic partner must:
- be at least 18 years old
- not be legally married, under federal law, to each other or anyone else or part of another domestic partnership during the previous 12 months
- currently be in an exclusive, committed relationship with each other that has existed for at least 12 months and is intended to be permanent
- currently reside together, and have resided together for at least the previous 12 months, and intend to do so permanently
- have agreed to share responsibility for each other's common welfare and basic financial obligations
- not be related by blood to a degree of closeness that would prohibit marriage under applicable state law.
Marsh & McLennan Companies reserves the right to require documentary proof of your domestic partnership or marriage at any time, for the purpose of determining benefits eligibility. If requested, you must provide documents, including without limitation, those verifying the registration of your domestic partnership with a state or local authority, your cohabitation and/or mutual commitment, or a marriage license that has been approved by a state or local government authority.
In order to cover the child(ren) of a domestic partner, you will be required to agree to the Affidavit of Eligible Family Membership. Go to Colleague Connect (https://colleagueconnect.mmc.com), click Career & Rewards and select Mercer Marketplace Benefits Enrollment Website under Tools.