MMC Benefits Handbook
Mental Health/Substance Use
- Services performed in connection with conditions not classified in the current edition of the International Classification of Diseases section on Mental and Behavioral Disorders or Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association.
- Outside of an assessment, services as treatments for a primary diagnosis of conditions and problems that may be a focus of clinical attention, but are specifically noted not to be mental disorders within the current edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association
- Outside of an assessment, services as treatments for the primary diagnoses of learning disabilities, conduct and disruptive impulse control and conduct disorders, gambling disorder and paraphilic disorders.
- Services that are solely educational in nature or otherwise paid under state or federal law for purely educational purposes.
- Tuition or services that are school-based for children and adolescents required to be provided by, or paid for by, the school under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- Outside of an assessment, unspecified disorders for which the provider is not obligated to provide clinical rationale as defined in the current edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association.
- Intensive Behavioral Therapies such as Applied Behavior Analysis
- Psychosurgery (brain surgery to treat psychiatric symptoms)
- Transitional Living services
- Treatment provided in connection with or to comply with commitments, police detentions and other similar arrangements, unless authorized by the Plan's prior authorization review