MMC Benefits Handbook
Paying for Coverage While on Leave
Paying Required Contributions
During your authorized unpaid leave of absence, you continue to pay contributions for the following before-tax plans, but on an after-tax basis through the Company's direct billing administrator:
- Health Savings Account*
- Voluntary AD&D**
- During your authorized unpaid leave of absence, you continue to pay contributions for the following plans on an after-tax basis through the Company's direct billing administrator:
- Accident Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Hospital Indemnity
You will be sent a welcome packet which includes monthly premium payment coupons and instructions regarding how to continue your coverage in the above plans. Generally, premium payment coupons are generated within ten to fifteen business days from notification of leave. Payment is due upon receipt and should be mailed as the premium payment coupons instruct. There is a thirty (30) day grace period during which to make the payment. Applicable coverage will be cancelled as a result of non-payment.
* You will not be sent monthly premium payment coupons. If you wish to contribute to the Health Savings Account (HSA), you must contact the HSA Administrator directly for instructions on how to remit contribution payments.
** Coverage continues for no longer than 48 months.
During your authorized unpaid leave, you may also continue to pay contributions for the following plans and programs on an after-tax basis directly to the insurance carrier:
- Personal Excess Liability Insurance, including uninsured/underinsured liability
- Personal Life Insurance
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Choice Auto and Home Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Identity Protection Benefit Program
- Group Variable Universal Life***
- Individual Disability Insurance
- Legal Assistance Plan
You will be notified directly by the insurance carrier with instructions on how to continue making contributions.
*** As long as you receive benefits under the Company's Basic Long Term Disability Plan, your coverage will continue while out on Long Term Disability and no contributions for Group Variable Universal Life will be required during this period.
If you take an authorized unpaid leave of absence that is covered under the Family and Medical Leave Act, you may elect to continue your before-tax contributions to the Medical Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, and Voluntary AD&D by prepaying them for the period of the leave through the current plan year (otherwise, you will pay for the contributions monthly on an after-tax basis). To prepay before-tax contributions, you must authorize a lump-sum payroll deduction prior to the start of the authorized leave.