MMC Benefits Handbook
About the Life Event
Adding a domestic partner to certain benefits coverage is permitted upon employment or during the Annual Enrollment period for coverage effective the following January 1st if you satisfy the plans' criteria, or immediately upon satisfying the plans' criteria if you previously did not qualify. To obtain domestic partner coverage, you will need to agree to the Affidavit of Eligible Family Membership, declaring:
Spouse / Domestic Partner
- You have already received a marriage license from a US state or local authority, or registered your domestic partnership with a US state or local authority.
- Although not registered with a US state or local authority, your relationship constitutes a marriage under US state or local law (e.g. common law marriage or a marriage outside the US that is honored under US state or local law).
Domestic Partner Only
- Although not registered with a US state or local authority, your relationship constitutes an eligible domestic partnership. To establish that your relationship constitutes an eligible domestic partnership you and your domestic partner must:
- be at least 18 years old
- not be legally married, under federal law, to each other or anyone else or part of another domestic partnership during the previous 12 months
- currently be in an exclusive, committed relationship with each other that has existed for at least 12 months and is intended to be permanent
- currently reside together, and have resided together for at least the previous 12 months, and intend to do so permanently
- have agreed to share responsibility for each other's common welfare and basic financial obligations
- not be related by blood to a degree of closeness that would prohibit marriage under applicable state law.
- Marsh & McLennan Companies reserves the right to require documentary proof of your domestic partnership or marriage at any time, for the purpose of determining benefits eligibility. If requested, you must provide documents verifying the registration of your domestic partnership with a state or local authority, your cohabitation and/or mutual commitment, or a marriage license that has been approved by a state or local government authority.
In order to cover the child(ren) of a domestic partner, you will be required to agree to the Affidavit of Eligible Family Membership. Go to Connect (https://colleagueconnect.mmc.com), click Career & Rewards and select Mercer Marketplace Benefits Enrollment Website under Tools.